Garlic Mushroom Appetizer
My grandfather, who was a hotel chef for many years, created this recipe. He prepared these mushrooms for big family gatherings, and they always were gone quickly.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Sliced French bread
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil and butter until crisp-tender. Add mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar, parsley and garlic. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. To serve, spoon onto slices of French bread.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 118 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Garlic Mushroom Appetizer in Country February/March 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.