My grandfather, who was a hotel chef for many years, created this recipe. He prepared these mushrooms for big family gatherings, and they always were gone quickly.
Recommended: 45 Recipes for Mushroom Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Sliced French bread
- In a saucepan, saute onion in oil and butter until transparent. Add the mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add vinegar, parsley and garlic; mix well. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Chill several hours or overnight. To serve, spoon onto slices of French bread. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Garlic Mushroom Appetizer in Country February/March 1995, p51