Garlic-Herb Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 1 roasting chicken (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons each minced fresh parsley, rosemary, sage and thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium lemon, halved
- 1 large whole garlic bulb
- 1 sprig each fresh parsley, rosemary, sage and thyme
- 1. With fingers, carefully loosen skin around the chicken breast, leg and thigh. Combine minced parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pepper; rub half under skin. Place sliced garlic cloves under skin. Squeeze half of the lemon into the cavity and place the squeezed half in the cavity.
- 2. Remove papery outer skin from whole garlic bulb (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulb. Place garlic bulb and herb sprigs in the cavity. Skewer chicken openings; tie drumsticks together with kitchen string.
- 3. Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Squeeze the remaining lemon half over chicken; rub remaining herb mixture over chicken.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until chicken juices run clear and a thermometer reads 180° (cover loosely with foil if browning too quickly). Baste with pan drippings if desired.
- 5. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Remove and discard skin, garlic, lemon and herbs from cavity before carving. Yield: 8 servings.
3 ounce-weight: 163 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 289mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat.
Reviews for Garlic-Herb Roasted Chicken
"This was very simple and delicious. I initially thought that 20 cloves of garlic sounded like a lot but it added just the right amount of flavor. The herb combination was very good as well. We served with some mashed sweet potatoes and okra! Also makes great chicken salad the next day with leftovers!"
"Very easy and very flavorful! It made the whole house smell wonderful. My husband and kids just loved it!"
"Absolutely delicious! I used dried herbs because I didn't have fresh herbs. I also stuffed the cavity with chopped onions, garlic, and celery. Again, delicious!"
"Super easy, juicy and delicious."
"Very good. Our picky kids even ate it, though one said it was weird. That may be because I had a lime vs. a lemon, and used that. Also used a lot of dry herbs, as only had fresh parsley."