I grow basil and mint in my garden and love stepping outside to pick what I need for this recipe. The herbs give the cornish hens a tasty upgrade here. —Barbara Engelhart, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Recommended: 16 Impressive Christmas Dinner Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- In a small bowl, mix the first five ingredients; stir in 1 tablespoon oil. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from Cornish hen breasts; rub herb mixture under the skin, over the skin and inside cavities. Tuck wings under hens; tie drumsticks together. Refrigerate, covered, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Brush hens with remaining oil.
- Roast 40-50 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°. Remove from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 10 minutes before splitting hens in half. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Garlic-Herb Cornish Hens in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014