The first time I substituted zucchini noodles for regular pasta, it was because I was trying to reduce carbohydrates and calories. Now I make them because we love the flavor and texture they bring to dishes. This dish is just as delicious if you substitute shrimp for the chicken. —Suzanne Banfield, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Featured In: Our Most-Loved Recipes for Zucchini
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- ZUCCHINI MIXTURE:
- 4 large zucchini (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- In a large bowl, mix the first five ingredients. Add chicken; turn to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for noodles, trim ends of zucchini. Using a cheese slicer or vegetable peeler, cut zucchini lengthwise into long thin slices. Cut zucchini on all sides, as if peeling a carrot, until the seeds become visible. Discard seeded portion or save for another use.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°. Remove from grill; keep warm.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat tomatoes and olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, salt, pepper flakes and pepper; cook and stir 30 seconds. Add zucchini; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from heat. Stir in pesto.
- Cut chicken into slices. Serve with zucchini noodles. Top with mozzarella. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Garlic-Grilled Chicken with Pesto Zucchini Ribbons in Light Recipes 2015, p41