Family and friends will go wild for these "gourmet" meatballs. I also use the chutney to top baked chicken, steaks and burgers.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Cook: 20 min.
- 4 whole garlic bulbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- SWEET ONION CHUTNEY:
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/4 cups thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Dash pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Toasted French bread slices (1/2 inch thick), optional
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut tops off bulbs. Brush with oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Divide into 18 portions; flatten. Top each with 1/2 teaspoon softened garlic; form beef mixture around garlic into meatballs. Set remaining garlic aside.
- In a large skillet, cook meatballs in batches until browned on all sides and meat is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Add onion; cook for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat; stir in the vinegar, sugar, pepper and remaining roasted garlic. Cook for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Drain meatballs; top with chutney and goat cheese. Serve with toasted French bread if desired.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 355 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Roasted Garlic Meatballs with Onion and Bacon Chutney in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2007