Garlic Fennel Bisque
I usually serve this in the spring as a wonderful side. The fennel in this bisque is so refreshing.—Janet Ondrich, Thamesville, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 4 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 24 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 3 medium fennel bulbs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- In a Dutch oven, bring the water, cream and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until garlic is very soft. Add fennel and fennel fronds; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until fennel is very soft.
- Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until blended. Return all to the pan. Season with salt and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with pine nuts.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 108 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 133mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Garlic-Fennel Bisque in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008