It's amazing how bread can be made in a slow cooker, which is why this recipe is so awesome—who knew it could be so simple! Let the inviting aroma of dill and cheese fill your kitchen. —Melissa Hansen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Recommended: 26 Recipes for Homemade Bread
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients. Add buttermilk and cheese; stir just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times or just until dough comes together. Shape dough into a 6-in. round loaf. Using a sharp knife, score surface with 1-in.-deep cuts in a crisscross pattern. Place in a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on high 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a thermometer reads 190°-200°.
- Preheat broiler. Remove bread; place on a baking sheet. Broil 6-8 in. from heat 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf (12 wedges).
Originally published as Garlic-Dill Soda Bread in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2017, p65