Garlic Chicken with Maple-Chipotle Glaze
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- 1-1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound red potatoes, halved
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- With a sharp knife, cut leg quarters at the joints. Sprinkle chicken with 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, rosemary, thyme, sage, marjoram and parsley. In a shallow bowl, combine the egg, milk and lemon juice. Add chicken pieces, one at a time, to flour mixture. Toss to coat. Dip chicken in egg mixture and coat again with flour mixture.
- In a 12-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, heat 1/2 cup oil. Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, until golden brown, 5-6 minutes. Remove chicken and keep warm; drain drippings.
- In the same skillet, cook potatoes in remaining oil until slightly tender, 8-10 minutes. Add onion and remaining salt; cook until onion is tender, 5-6 minutes longer. Stir in garlic; top with chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° until a thermometer reads 170°-175° and potatoes are tender, 45-50 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients. Brush over chicken just before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken quarter with about 1/2 cup potato mixture: 834 calories, 55g fat (8g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 1112mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 3g fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Roasted Garlic Chicken with Maple-Chipotle Glaze in Fresh Home Winter 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.