Garlic Chicken with Maple-Chipotle Glaze
This herby one-dish garlic chicken dinner is a updated version of an old stand by recipe. The smoky flavors pair well with the savory chicken hint of sweetness from the maple syrup. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- 1-1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound red potatoes, halved
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- With a sharp knife, cut leg quarters at the joints. Sprinkle chicken with 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, rosemary, thyme, sage, marjoram and parsley. In a shallow bowl, combine the egg, milk and lemon juice. Add chicken pieces, one at a time, to flour mixture. Toss to coat. Dip chicken in egg mixture and coat again with flour mixture.
- In a 12-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, heat 1/2 cup oil. Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, until golden brown, 5-6 minutes. Remove chicken and keep warm; drain drippings.
- In the same skillet, cook potatoes in remaining oil until slightly tender, 8-10 minutes. Add onion and remaining salt; cook until onion is tender, 5-6 minutes longer. Stir in garlic; top with chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° until a thermometer reads 170°-175° and potatoes are tender, 45-50 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients. Brush over chicken just before serving.