Garlic Chicken Kabobs
Tender and moist, these grilled kabobs from Sheri Jean Waked are extra special when served with her garlic dipping sauce. "This is a lighter version of a dish my Lebanese mother-in-law taught me to make," she writes from Loveland, Ohio. "I reduced the amount of oil and substituted yogurt for mayonnaise."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- GARLIC DIPPING SAUCE:
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat plain yogurt
- Place garlic and salt in a small bowl; crush with the back of a sturdy spoon. Add cilantro and coriander; crush together. Add the yogurt, lemon juice and oil; mix well. Pour into a large resealable plastic bag; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2 hours.
- For dipping sauce, place garlic and salt in a small bowl; crush with the back of a sturdy spoon. Mix in oil. Stir in yogurt. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Drain and discard marinade. Thread chicken on eight metal or soaked wooden skewers. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill kabobs, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes until juices run clear, turning occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 186 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Garlic Chicken Kabobs in Light & Tasty June/July 2003