This fried rice uses leftover chicken (see the Garlic-Brown Sugar Chicken recipe also in Recipe Finder). So it's perfect when you need a quick and easy meal on busy weekdays.
Recommended: 23 Chicken and Vegetable Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups cold cooked rice
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1 to 2 cups chopped leftover Garlic-Brown Sugar Chicken (recipe also in Recipe Finder) or cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a large skillet or wok, scramble egg in 1 tablespoon oil, breaking into small pieces. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add remaining oil to skillet; stir-fry celery and garlic over medium-high heat until crisp-tender. Add rice; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Stir in ham, chicken, soy sauce, pepper, ginger and egg; heat through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Garlic Chicken Fried Rice in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p51