VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine chicken, broccoli, carrots, water chestnuts and garlic. In a large bowl, mix next seven ingredients; pour over chicken mixture. Cook, covered, on low until chicken and broccoli are tender, 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken and vegetables; keep warm. Strain cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken, vegetables and hot cooked rice.
- Freeze option: Place chicken and vegetables in freezer containers; top with sauce. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Garlic Chicken & Broccoli in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2017, p31