Garlic Cheese Breadsticks
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, wheat germ, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the water, 1 tablespoon oil and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; press dough to edges of pan. Brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with parsley, basil and garlic. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown. Cut into 20 strips. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 163 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Mar 1, 2018
These were really good and came together quickly with just one rising. The dough was soft and easy to handle. Nice to serve on the side with soup or spaghetti.
Dec 28, 2012
I make this recipe all the time. It's very quick and they are good with a meal or stand alone as a party appetizer.