Garlic Butternut Bisque
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes9 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 4 medium onions, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash (4 pounds), peeled and cubed (about 8 cups)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional heavy whipping cream and minced fresh sage, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulbs, but do not peel or separate the cloves. Cut off top of garlic bulbs, exposing individual cloves; brush with oil. Wrap each in foil. Bake 30-35 minutes or until cloves are soft. Unwrap and cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 1/2 cup butter over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook and stir until tender. Stir in squash, broth and 2 tablespoons sage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Squeeze garlic from skins into a small bowl; mash with a fork and stir into soup. In batches, process soup in a blender until smooth; return to pan.
- Stir in 1/2 cup cream, salt, pepper and remaining butter; heat through. If desired, garnish servings with additional cream and sage.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 313 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 1192mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 7g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 12, 2015
This had great garlic flavor. My husband really liked it and he doesn't like butternut squash.
Nov 6, 2011
This is an excellent bisque recipe. I highly recommend it. I have made it for my family as well as given it for gifts. Excellent reviews every time. Simply delicious .. thank you.
Mar 3, 2010
I have made this a number of times and enjoy it everytime.