Garlic Bread Salad
Talk about an on-the-go bite or easy-to-fix side dish! When time’s at a premium, try this fresh and fabulous salad you can eat with your hands. It’s a longtime lunch specialty of Maria McMartin in Burlington, Wisconsin.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 French bread baguette (about 8 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup torn romaine
- 3 tablespoons Italian salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut baguette lengthwise in half; cut each half into two pieces. In a small bowl, combine the butter, tomatoes, pesto and garlic. Spread over cut sides of bread. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, toss romaine and salad dressing; divide among bread slices. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts2 pieces: 376 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 843mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Garlic Bread Salad in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007