Garlic Bread Salad
Talk about an on-the-go bite or easy-to-fix side dish! When time’s at a premium, try this fresh and fabulous salad you can eat with your hands. It’s a longtime lunch specialty of Maria McMartin in Burlington, Wisconsin.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 French bread baguette (about 8 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup torn romaine
- 3 tablespoons Italian salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut baguette lengthwise in half; cut each half into two pieces. In a small bowl, combine the butter, tomatoes, pesto and garlic. Spread over cut sides of bread. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, toss romaine and salad dressing; divide among bread slices. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts2 pieces: 376 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 843mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Garlic Bread Salad in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.