Garlic Au Gratin Tomatoes
You'll likely reach for this recipe when you have a bumper crop of tomatoes. The distinctive taste of garlic nicely enhances sweet juicy tomatoes.—Dorothy Pritchett, Wills Point, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Cut a thin slice from the top of each tomato. Scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/2-in.-thick shell. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl,combine crumbs, garlic, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Stuff tomatoes; place in a greased shallow baking dish. Drizzle with oil. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until stuffing is lightly browned.
Editor's Note: To make appetizers, stuff 48 cherry tomatoes with crumb mixture; bake for 8-10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 211 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 401mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Garlic Au Gratin Tomatoes in Taste of Home August/September 1996