Garlic and Shallot Mashed Potatoes
Roasting garlic gives it a mellow, robust flavor, so it's not overpowering in these marvelous mashed potatoes. A touch of cream cheese provides just the right amount of richness.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 8 medium), peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Cayenne pepper or paprika, optional
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves) and the shallot. Cut tops off of garlic bulb and shallot; brush with oil. Wrap each in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; place in a large bowl.
- Squeeze softened garlic into bowl. Finely chop shallot; add to potatoes. Add the milk, butter, cream cheese, salt and pepper; mash potatoes. Sprinkle with cayenne if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 228 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 472mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Roasted Garlic and Shallot Mashed Potatoes in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.