Garden Vegetable Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Dash pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- In a large saucepan, cook garlic in oil for 1 minute. Stir in rice; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the broth, peppers, carrots and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in zucchini and tomatoes; cook for 3 minutes. Cool. Transfer to freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To serve immediately, cook soup 3-5 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw soup in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 87 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 753mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Sep 14, 2015
Delicious soup with a surprising depth of flavor for such a quick recipe. I served it with grated Parmesan to pass.
Jul 18, 2011
Very delicious. I made exactly except I used one can of petite diced tomatoes for the fresh since I did not have that many tomatoes on hand.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.