This rich, hearty beef stew has a garden full of flavor with vegetables like cabbage, rutabaga and carrots. You can also throw in extra vegetables to stretch it.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup sliced celery (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown meat in oil. Add onion, water, seasoning blend, pepper and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the vegetables; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Combine flour, cold water and browning sauce if desired until smooth. Stir into stew; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.