Garden’s Plenty Meatballs
This is a wonderful dish to take to a potluck dinner...you're certain to come home with an empty dish. My sister shared the recipe with me several years ago. - Lyn Hook, PIcton, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Roll in flour. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Combine the tomatoes, carrots, pepper and onion. Pour over meatballs. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink.
For a complete meal, serve Garden's Plenty Meatballs over hot cooked rice or pasta.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 320 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Garden's Plenty Meatballs in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Oct 17, 2011
You don't taste the applesauce in the meatballs, it just keeps them from drying out. I was surprised by how much I appreciated the flavor and texture of the vegetables in there.