Garden’s Harvest Pickles
This relish recipe from a friend is similar to giardiniera only sweeter. I have a certain sense of pride when giving jars as gifts knowing all the vegetables were raised in my own garden.—Linda Chapman, Meriden, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Process: 20 min./batch
- 3 large onions, cut into wedges
- 3 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- 6 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 cups cut fresh green beans (2-inch lengths)
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch slices
- 6 cups sugar
- 6 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup mustard seed
- 1/4 cup celery seed
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, peppers and canning salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain; place in a stockpot. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender. Carefully ladle hot mixture into 11 hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 20 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 30 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 113mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Garden's Harvest Pickles in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010