As soon as we have tomatoes and zucchini in the garden, my family asks for this dish.—Harriet Stichter, Milford, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 3-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 10 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded, divided
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- In a saucepan, combine the spaghetti sauce, tomato paste, mushrooms and oil. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. In a bowl, combine the next nine ingredients. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of the noodles and cheese mixture. Top with 2-1/2 cups of zucchini. Layer with a third of the spaghetti sauce and half of the mozzarella. Repeat layers of noodles, cheese mixture and sauce. Top with tomato slices and remaining sauce and mozzarella. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer. Sprinkle with remaining zucchini. Let stand for 20 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 436 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 1114mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Garden Lasagna in Taste of Home August/September 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.