Garden Fresh Potato Salad
A parent from a school I previously taught at gave me this recipe, and I think of that parent and child every time I make this potato salad. The salad looks beautiful, and the fresh basil vinaigrette keeps it light. —Dee Dee Calow, Warren, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook 25 min. + chilling
Makes20 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 3 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender, adding beans during the last 4 minutes of cooking. Drain. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Pour over potato mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Stir before serving; top with eggs and tomatoes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 113 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Garden Fresh Potato Salad in Diabetes Spring 2013 Bookazine