Garden-Fresh Black Bean Salsa
After taking an inventory of all the fresh produce from my mom's garden, we created this fresh salsa recipe. It's a hit every summer when the harvest comes in. —Erin Davis, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes32 servings (1/4 cup each)
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk remaining ingredients until blended. Pour over salsa; toss to combine. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 17 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Bountiful Fresh Salsa in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017