Garden Cobb Salad
This sensational salad is my favorite for a ladies' lunch…but men and kids eat it up, too. Presenting it in a flowerpot emphasizes its garden-fresh goodness. Be prepared to pot up more fixings when guests come back for seconds. —Christine Panzarella, Buena Park, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 to 10 romaine leaves
- 12 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 8 thick-sliced bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup diced avocado
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- Edible pansies, optional
- For dressing, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, blue cheese, vinegar, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Line an 8-in. decorative flowerpot with plastic wrap or use a serving bowl. Arrange romaine around the edge; fill with mixed greens. Arrange the bacon, avocado, chicken, tomatoes and eggs in a spoke pattern over greens. Garnish with pansies if desired. Serve with dressing.
Editor's NoteVerify that flowers are edible and have not been treated with chemicals.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 431 calories, 35g fat (12g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 797mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Dec 14, 2011
Very colorful and refreshing salad. Liked the blue cheese dressing recipe too... I served it as a tossed salad with the dressing on the side... and skipped the pansies!