- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 small zucchini, julienned
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 3 cups spring mix salad greens
- For dressing, in a dry small skillet, toast cumin seeds over medium heat until aromatic, stirring frequently. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in tomato, lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and cayenne pepper.
- In a bowl, combine chickpeas, carrot, zucchini, green onions, parsley, radishes, cheese and walnuts. Stir in 1/3 cup dressing.
- To serve, divide greens between two plates; top with chickpea mixture. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forGarden Chickpea Salad
"Excellent and easy! I had most everything in my pantry and fridge which was nice. Common ingredients but very tasty. I also used ground cumin to save time."
"Wonderful! I used a small amount of ground cumin instead. The dressing has a bit of "zip" without overpowering sensitive taste buds."
"Just delicious. I used only 1/2 of the parsley and substituted cilantro for the other half. Fast and easy."
"This delicious salad was republished in the April May issue of Country Woman, and as soon as I saw it I knew it would be a winner on my table. Other than omitting the walnuts I made it exactly as stated, and would not change a thing.. unless, you like an extra kick, as some of the other reviewers mentioned."
"Really enjoyed this.....I like a bit of kick to my food so just added a little hot sauce to the vinaigrette, also cut back on the olive oil. Served the feta separate as the kids don't care for it."
"For a little "kick" I added a 2 tablespoons of Melinas "Pepperino" to the olive oil"
"Garden chickpea salad is a family favourite in our home and one we make when we have company coming or just want a simple meal. It tastes so good, we don't usually change much, just the flavour is about all. It's a keeper and definitely going in my recipe box."