Garden Chicken Cacciatore
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8-1/2 hours
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Place chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a medium bowl, combine green peppers, tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, broth, wine, garlic, salt and pepper; pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until chicken is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 30 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked chicken with about 1/2 cup sauce: 207 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Nov 29, 2018
I love Cacciatore and this sounded easy for me to translate to an Instant Pot. I am new to IP since doing crock pot recipes for years! It came out amazing! My hubby doesn't like Green Bell Peppers, so I used 1 and it still came out excellent! Served with Angel Hair Pasta. Definitely a keeper and will make again!! Thank you
Aug 31, 2016
Easy to make, used regular tomatoes instead of one with seasonings and added the garlic, basil, and oregano myself. (1tbsp. of each) and I would definitely add a tbsp. of sugar, otherwise it will be acidic. My daughter gave it 5 stars and my hubby gave it a 3.5 or 4. My picky son even ate it, which is always a win!
Jun 17, 2016
Was easy to prepare but tasted a little bland. Added some chilli powder, chicken stock powder and a little sugar to boost the flavour. Was still missing something. Still, we enjoyed it. Would have this again. Our fussy 12yo gave this a 10! That's a winner on its own! Thank for a lovely recipe.
Nov 21, 2015
Made as the recipe says, served over egg noodles. Took to a potluck dinner, delicious !
Aug 1, 2015
I used vegetarian chicken cutlets instead of the chicken thighs; and I served them on croissants for lunch. Very delicious. Thanks, Martha, for sharing this recipe.
Apr 24, 2015
I can only rate this recipe on the ingredients and the easy directions, since I have not yet made it - but it sounds very tasty. I'll definitely make this on a busy day. Twelve servings you say? Not as far as my guys are concerned (LOL)! : )
Feb 4, 2015
Really good, easy, and economical. Family loved it! Prepared as written.
Aug 29, 2014
I added cooked rice to the pot, and it was great.
Jun 23, 2014
We tried this last week for the first time, and everyone loved it. It's a keeper!
Apr 27, 2014
A simple and easy recipe. The sauce is very flavorful and the chicken thighs turn out moist and fall-apart tender every time!