Fresh flavors come through in this lightly dressed salad that’s ideal for warm-weather eating. The mozzarella cheese is a must! Thanks to Merwyn Garbini of Tucson, Arizona for the recipe.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large salad bowl, combine the beans, tomatoes, celery, onion and cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Chill until serving. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Garbanzo Salad in Simple & Delicious July/August 2008, p27