Garbanzo Beans ‘N’ Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini and oregano. Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 286 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 445mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 30, 2017
I liked this recipe. I thought it a little bland and when I make again will add another zucchini and maybe a summer squash or red pepper. Definitely a keeper. Thanks for sharing a great healthy recipe.
Jul 27, 2015
I make this exactly as written and my family gobbles it up! I've had this recipe in regular rotation for a few years now. It's an easy way to get my kid to eat his veggies!
Apr 10, 2015
My family loved this!