Garbanzo Beans ‘N’ Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini and oregano. Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 286 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 445mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 lean meat.
Apr 30, 2017
I liked this recipe. I thought it a little bland and when I make again will add another zucchini and maybe a summer squash or red pepper. Definitely a keeper. Thanks for sharing a great healthy recipe.
Jul 27, 2015
I make this exactly as written and my family gobbles it up! I've had this recipe in regular rotation for a few years now. It's an easy way to get my kid to eat his veggies!
Apr 10, 2015
My family loved this!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.