Garbanzo Bean Salad with Citrusy Dressing
The recipe for this simple bean salad comes from Donna Smith of Victor, New York. Her refreshing side gets extra zest from fresh herbs and a citrusy dressing. Chilling it lets the flavors blend...and gives you time to tend to the rest of the meal.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Leaf lettuce
- In a bowl, combine the beans, onion, parsley and mint. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the lemon juice, oil, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper; shake well. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve on lettuce-lined plates.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 167 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 616mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Garbanzo Bean Salad in Light & Tasty October/November 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.