The recipe for this simple bean salad comes from Donna Smith of Victor, New York. Her refreshing side gets extra zest from fresh herbs and a citrusy dressing. Chilling it lets the flavors blend...and gives you time to tend to the rest of the meal.
Recommended: 62 Ways to Eat the Rainbow
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Leaf lettuce
- In a bowl, combine the beans, onion, parsley and mint. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the lemon juice, oil, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper; shake well. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve on lettuce-lined plates. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Garbanzo Bean Salad in Light & Tasty October/November 2003, p9