Game Day Miniature Peppers
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 8 each miniature sweet red, orange and yellow peppers
- 4 ounces ground turkey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut and reserve tops off peppers; remove seeds. Cut thin slices from pepper bottoms to level; set aside peppers.
- In a large skillet, cook the turkey, mushrooms, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 cup tomato sauce, rice, cheeses and seasonings; spoon into peppers. Place upright in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over peppers; replace pepper tops. Cover and bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until heated through and peppers are crisp-tender.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 23 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Aug 18, 2013
These were very good. I thought my peppers were miniature but not quite as miniature as one I found after the fact. Probably only made about 10-12. Made as a main meal.
Apr 18, 2012
we loved the peppers. I increased the turkey to 1 lb. and the rice to 1 c. and we had them as a main course. I added more garlic and left out the salt. I also added some jalapeno peppers. Very tastey.
Mar 3, 2012
Very good! I liked using the mini yellow/red/orange peppers to give it a sweeter taste. I was excited to make the recipe for the healthier ingredients i.e. brown rice (i used left over rice), ground turkey breast, tomato sauce (i used no added salt tomato sauce). I skipped the mushrooms and used chili powder instead of cayenne pepper (about an 1/8 tsp which wasn't enough). I also used a salt substitute which was needed since i used no added salt tomato sauce. I only had about 10 peppers but didn't have a lot of left over stuffing so i might double the recipe for 24 peppers. Each person ate 4-5 peppers for dinner and we definitely needed more to eat so make sure you make sides. Loved the recipe though; would definitely make them again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.