Game Day Gumbo
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes10 servings (3-3/4 quarts)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (13-1/2 ounces) smoked beef sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (8 ounces) jambalaya mix
- 1 package (8 ounces) dirty rice mix
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir until browned. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, brown sausage over medium heat; remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Heat remaining butter in same pan over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in stock, water, tomatoes and rice mixes. Return chicken and sausage to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 433 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 1385mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 27, 2019
This is not gumbo, sorry. Need a great dark roux. There are no tomatoes in authentic gumbo. Jambalaya, yes, gumbo, no. And the rice is separate, not incorporated in the soup (regardless of whether it is a mix or not).
Feb 10, 2017
Quick and easy! I have made it a few time and everyone likes it.
Jan 14, 2017
I have made this several times and my family loves it though it seems more the consistency of Jambalaya than gumbo. I add minced onions to mine. The first time I did it I read the recipe wrong and bought the box of red beans and rice instead of dirty rice. I generally double it for my family and since have used 1 dirty rice and 2 red beans and rice with 2 jambalaya. Today I was out of celery so will not use it. It is very easy to adapt.
Oct 21, 2016
Good soup but definitely NOT gumbo. A real gumbo starts with a great roux.
Feb 20, 2016
I really enjoy this recipe in the winter especially. I agree, it does seem a little salty.. I use Andouille: Louisiana's famous, spicy, coarse-ground smoked pork sausage instead of the beef sausage. I expect the 2 boxed rice ingredients are high in salt. You can use more vegs if you want to offset the amount of rice you end up with.
Oct 22, 2015
It had a lot of flavor. I thought it was good.
Sep 30, 2015
Good but salty.
Sep 11, 2015
Use okra and add seafood, cut back on the flour. Okra is a natural thickener.
Nov 5, 2014
I usually don't like jambalaya type dishes but this was very good.
Sep 30, 2014
Delicious Gumbo! I agree that it gets a little thick. The rice just soaks up the liquid. Adding chicken broth to get some juices back works perfectly.