Gam’s Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
My grandmother's homemade ice cream is good on its own, but it's also fantastic as a base for fun flavors and toppings. Try stirring in your favorite chopped candy bars. —Andrea Bolden, Unionville, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Process: 20 min. + freezing
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, whisk eggs and sugar until blended; stir in milk. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Let sit for 2 minutes, occasionally stirring gently. Stir in cream, heavy cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of the custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream maker no more than two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.)
- Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
To make chocolate ice cream, stir in a can of Hershey's chocolate syrup. For strawberry or peach, stir in 2 cups sliced fruit sweetened with 1/2 cup sugar. For Milky Way (Andrea's family's favorite), reserve 2 cups of the milk, add 8 chopped regular-size Milky Way bars, and heat over medium heat until melted. Try your own favorite candy, such as Reese's cups or Snickers. For peppermint ice cream, crush mints to equal 1 cup and stir into ice cream mixture, or substitute peppermint extract for 1 teaspoon of the vanilla.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 178 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 64mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Gam's Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream in Taste of Home December 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.