Furry Friends Cake
Celebrate your furry friends with these spectacular cakes, that are really easier to make than they look. —Sarah Farmer, Taste of Home Test Kitchen Director
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + standing Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 brown milk chocolate M&M's
- 2 large red gumdrops
- Red Hots
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the semisweet chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in corn syrup just until mixture is well blended, forms a ball and is no longer shiny. Turn onto an 8-in. square of waxed paper. Press chocolate mixture into a 7-in. square. Let mixture stand at room temperature until dry to the touch, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 8-in. round baking pans. Let separated eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave white chocolate with water at 30% power until chocolate is melted; cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, vanilla and white chocolate mixture. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into white chocolate mixture with coconut and pecans.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter. Add the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla. Set aside 1/2 cup for decorating.
- Roll out semisweet chocolate mixture on waxed paper to 1/8-in. thickness. Using a sharp knife and pre-cut templates, if desired, cut out two ears, two ovals and two small circles for eyes, a muzzle, a thin strip for muzzle detail, a small heart-shaped nose, a curved strip for the dog collar and a small U-shaped hook; set aside.
- Flatten gumdrops with a rolling pin over a small amount of sugar. Cut one into a heart-shaped dog tag and the other into the shape of a tongue.
- Add candy detail to collar using the reserved frosting for decorating.
- To assemble, place the bottom cake layer on a large platter. Spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Add the middle cake layer; spread with an additional 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides with remaining frosting.
- Position ears, eyes, M&M pupils, muzzle and nose onto cake, using reserved frosting, if necessary. Add frosting wrinkles and whisker spots. Place collar directly onto platter, below the cake.
- Editor's Note:
- For cat: Follow directions above using templates resembling cat features.
Originally published as Puppy Dog Cake in tasteofhome.com
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.