Fun Fish Pastries
Kids and grown-ups alike will be hooked on these crab-stuffed pastries with their deliciously fishy shape. The knife-and-fork sandwiches are fun to dip into the cheesy sauce.—Mary Balkavich, Tyrone, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 15 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 cups sauce)
- 1 can (6 ounces) lump crabmeat, drained, or light tuna in water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1 slice part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 pitted ripe olive, chopped
- Curly endive and fresh blueberries, optional
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup or cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- In a small bowl, combine the crab, egg yolk, onion powder, garlic powder and salt. Stir in cheese; set aside.
- For pastry, in a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine tomato juice and Worcestershire sauce; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead 8-10 times.
- Divide dough into 22 equal pieces. Pat or roll each piece into a 4-in. circle, 1/4-in. thick.
- Place eight circles among two greased baking sheets. Place a heaping tablespoonful of filling in the center of each circle.
- For fins and tails, cut six circles into fourths. Cut lines into each curved side. Place two fins and a tail on each circle on baking sheets, attaching with water. Press onto circles.
- In the remaining eight circles, cut scale shapes into bodies using the small end of a pastry bag coupler. Brush edges with water and place over filling; press to seal. Brush tops of pastries with egg white.
- Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. For eyes, cut small circles out of mozzarella using the coupler; place on hot pastries with a piece of olive in the center for pupils. Garnish plates with endive and blueberries if desired.
- In a small saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until cheese is melted. Serve with pastries.
Nutrition Facts1 fish pastry with 5 tablespoons sauce: 537 calories, 34g fat (11g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.