Full-of-Goodness Oatmeal Cookies
I love to bake, and bring in extra treats to leave in the faculty lounge for my colleagues. To avoid being blamed for ruining their healthy diets, I came up with this healthier version of the classic oatmeal cookie to make snacking on these a good choice, instead of a guilty indulgence. —Sharon Balestra, Bloomfield, New York
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 cup pitted dried plums, chopped
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a small bowl, combine water and flaxseed. In a large bowl, combine the plums, dates and raisins. Cover with boiling water. Let flaxseed and plum mixtures stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Beat in the applesauce, maple syrup and orange zest. Combine the oats, flours, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Drain plum mixture; stir plum mixture and flaxseed into dough.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-11 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with commercially prepared apple butter.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 56 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 40mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Originally published as My Goodness Oatmeal Cookies in Diabetes Spring 2013 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.