Fudgy Walnut Sauce
This rich sauce will satisfy any sweet tooth. It tastes great poured over pound cake or drizzled on scoops of ice cream.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add chocolate and butter; stir until melted. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks. Whisk a small amount of the chocolate mixture into yolks. Return all to the pan; whisk until smooth. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and walnuts. Pour into jars; cool. Cover and store in the refrigerator. To serve, reheat in a microwave.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 182 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Fudgy Walnut Sauce in Country Woman Christmas 1999