Fudgy Toffee Bars
Sweet treats always go over well in my family, especially during the holidays. We think these rich bars-dotted with walnuts, toffee bits, chocolate chips and coconut-are better than candy! They're nice to share with a group since one pan goes a long way.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and cocoa. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press firmly into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat milk and 1 cup chocolate chips over medium heat until chocolate is melted, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour filling over crust. Sprinkle with the walnuts, coconut, toffee bits and remaining chocolate chips; press down firmly. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 238 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Fudgy Toffee Bars in Taste of Home December/January 2000