Fudgy Peppermint Stick Torte
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-1/2 cups cold water
- 4-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candies, divided
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to four greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar and extract; beat until soft peaks form. In another bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped cream, then 3/4 cup crushed candies.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Just before serving, sprinkle remaining candies over the top.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 635 calories, 32g fat (19g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 6, 2019
WOW! Loved it!! Its always good to make it at chrismas with a cup of homemade hot chocolate...
Dec 25, 2016
I brought this cake to my family's Christmas dinner. Everyone really loved it. I actually made half the cake recipe and one third of the frosting recipe so it was a smaller cake but it turned out great! Thank you for the recipe.
Jan 30, 2015
I made this cake at the request of a friend for her daughter's birthday. As soon as I saw it was a Taste of Home recipe I knew it would be good, I can always trust them as a source of good recipes!I have made plenty of cakes from scratch before so I wasn't too intimidated. I hadn't made frosting quite like this before so I was a bit worried about the texture of the cream cheese and folding the whipped cream in. I think the key is to have a super smooth cream cheese mixture before adding the whipped cream, it turned out delicious. The cake itself was huge and I had quite a bit of frosting leftover but it didn't go to waste, it was delicious with pretzels dipped in it and even better when added to a cup of hot cocoa. A definite show stopper cake that I will make again.
Dec 23, 2014
Its my favoriate cake .
Dec 18, 2014
Rave reviews in the teachers' room! However, just a few tips to those who may not be expert bakers: 4.5 cups of heavy cream is over one quart of liquid; directions say "small bowl", but it will fill up a KitchenAid Mixer. I only had 3 cake pans for some reason but divided batter among them...cake still came out beautiful and delicious. Not as labor intensive as it seems.
Dec 15, 2014
Made for a staff Christmas party. Was a great hit! Went together easier than I thought it would. Very pretty presentation!
May 28, 2011
LOVED this! Absolutely delicious. This does make a pretty big torte. I didn't have many people over to share with so I sliced the torte into individual servings and froze them, then just pulled a slice out of the freezer whenever I felt like having a slice. You could also make 2 tortes with this using 2 layers for each instead of 4 and get a head start on a Valentine's or St. Patrick's Day dessert. For St. Patrick's Day, just add a little green food coloring to the frosting and decorate with Andes Mints instead of peppermint candies. This recipe is a keeper!
Feb 2, 2011
Excellent cake! I left out the peppermint extract and candies. Makes a beautiful presentation. I will make this cake again and again!
Dec 7, 2010
Moist, wonderful and Chocolatey. makes me think of a york peppermint patty. well worth the try