Fudgy Peppermint Stick Torte
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-1/2 cups cold water
- 4-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candies, divided
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to four greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar and extract; beat until soft peaks form. In another bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped cream, then 3/4 cup crushed candies.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Just before serving, sprinkle remaining candies over the top.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 635 calories, 32g fat (19g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Dec 25, 2016
I brought this cake to my family's Christmas dinner. Everyone really loved it. I actually made half the cake recipe and one third of the frosting recipe so it was a smaller cake but it turned out great! Thank you for the recipe.
Jan 30, 2015
I made this cake at the request of a friend for her daughter's birthday. As soon as I saw it was a Taste of Home recipe I knew it would be good, I can always trust them as a source of good recipes!I have made plenty of cakes from scratch before so I wasn't too intimidated. I hadn't made frosting quite like this before so I was a bit worried about the texture of the cream cheese and folding the whipped cream in. I think the key is to have a super smooth cream cheese mixture before adding the whipped cream, it turned out delicious. The cake itself was huge and I had quite a bit of frosting leftover but it didn't go to waste, it was delicious with pretzels dipped in it and even better when added to a cup of hot cocoa. A definite show stopper cake that I will make again.
Dec 23, 2014
Its my favoriate cake .
Dec 18, 2014
Rave reviews in the teachers' room! However, just a few tips to those who may not be expert bakers: 4.5 cups of heavy cream is over one quart of liquid; directions say "small bowl", but it will fill up a KitchenAid Mixer. I only had 3 cake pans for some reason but divided batter among them...cake still came out beautiful and delicious. Not as labor intensive as it seems.
Dec 15, 2014
Made for a staff Christmas party. Was a great hit! Went together easier than I thought it would. Very pretty presentation!
May 28, 2011
LOVED this! Absolutely delicious. This does make a pretty big torte. I didn't have many people over to share with so I sliced the torte into individual servings and froze them, then just pulled a slice out of the freezer whenever I felt like having a slice. You could also make 2 tortes with this using 2 layers for each instead of 4 and get a head start on a Valentine's or St. Patrick's Day dessert. For St. Patrick's Day, just add a little green food coloring to the frosting and decorate with Andes Mints instead of peppermint candies. This recipe is a keeper!
Feb 2, 2011
Excellent cake! I left out the peppermint extract and candies. Makes a beautiful presentation. I will make this cake again and again!
Dec 7, 2010
Moist, wonderful and Chocolatey. makes me think of a york peppermint patty. well worth the try
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.