Fudgy Oat Brownies Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 package fudge brownie mix (13-inch x 9-inch pan size)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in butter until combined. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-11 minutes or until puffed and edges are lightly browned.
- 2. Meanwhile, prepare brownie mix according to package directions for cake-like brownies. Spread batter over crust. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. For frosting, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Immediately stir in the confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons water and vanilla until smooth. Add remaining water; stir until smooth. Immediately spread over brownies. Cool on a wire rack until firm. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Fudgy Oat Brownies
"Absolutely super moist brownies!!!"
"I found these to be quite good, but not as outstanding as they'd need to be for me to remake them with the extra work. I have a frosted brownie recipe that I much prefer."
"I made these today at my work, which is a private lodge and I supply a lunch dessert daily. I am always on the lookout for brownie variations. These were delicious! very unique, to have an oat cookie base. I made my own favorite brownie recipe to top them, and a whipped ganache for the frosting. I needed a large amount, so I doubled all ingredients. Thank you for a great recipe!"
"Used the Five Star Brownie recipe here instead of a mix. AWESOME!!"
"These were so indulgent. I added chocolate chips to the brownie batter and frosted with peanut butter frosting. They looked very pretty and tasted even better. Great way to jazz up a boxed brownie mix. A winner!"
"I recall preparing these brownies when they appeared in the 2005 Brownie Contest for Taste of Home! I'd greased and floured my baking pan (13x9x2") and I'd used 3-1/4 cups of confectioners' sugar! I plan to use this recipe again! It's a great recipe to use and for me, it's a keeper! delowenstein"
"Everyone LOVES these brownies. They disappear in a flash!"
"This is my all time favorite brownie recipe! I make them a lot for our youth group or church events and I never come home with left overs!"
"I would not substitute a canned frosting for the glaze the recipe calls for. Totally different textures. The homemade one is nice and thin--you don't want too much more richness on top of these brownies. They're yummy."