These cookies may be small, but every bite is packed with big chocolate flavor. I sometimes dip the tops of the cookies in the frosting instead of spreading the frosting on top.
Recommended: Hot Chocolate Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 square (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter (no substitutes)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate. Stir in sugar, egg, egg yolk and vanilla; mix well. Gradually add flour. Stir in walnuts. Roll into 3/4-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks.
- For frosting, melt chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir in sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Fudgy Chocolate Balls in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p67