- 1 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- COCOA FROSTING:
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup milk
- In a mixing bowl, combine melted butter and cocoa. Mix in sugar and flour. Add eggs; mix well. Pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for frosting, beat together all ingredients in a mixing bowl until smooth. Cool the brownies for 15 minutes before frosting. Cool completely. Cover with foil; freeze until firm. Serve frozen or thawed. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forFudgy Brownies
"I frosted another brownie recipe with the frosting of this recipe. I more than doubled the amount of confectioners sugar to get the right consistency for frosting. The frosting recipe here is quite good, but be aware to add more sugar to thicken it."
"I recall making these brownies before and I prepared them again 6/13/14. I did adjust the recipe by adding 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract and I also used 1/2 tsp. salt to dry ingredients. I greased and floured the baking pan I used and I baked 20 minutes! The brownies tested done at that time! I don't recall freezing these brownies before! I have decided to just refrigerate them! I also used 1 tub of Wilton's Brownie Frosting and I added about 2 to 4 Tbsp. of whole milk to make the frosting easier to spread! I then whipped the frosting together with the milk until smooth and spreadable! We're having a Father's Day get-together with my sister & her family and I was asked to bake brownies! So I turned to this recipe! I use various brownie recipes from TOH and the companion magazine recipes and depending on which recipe I've used, I've been pleased with the results! Again: I HAVE made adjustments to recipes if I feel that they're needed! That was so in this case! Thank you, Laura Katucki, for sharing your recipe! delowenstein"
"I have to admit I did not follow the recipe EXACTLY, but it was only at the part of putting them in the freezer that I veered. I baked until 27-28 minutes, because the knife was not coming out clean, but maybe that test does not count for this recipe? I also did not have space in my freezer, so I put them in the fridge. The brownies were NOT dense or fudgy, they were dry and crumbly and would have been in the garbage had it not been for the frosting. Is the recipe so sensitive that you can back for no longer than 25 and HAVE to put them in the freezer or what happened? I'd like to make them again, but I hate wasting ingredients on things I dont LOVE..."
"Gosh, we love these brownies. Frost when hot. Increase cocoa in frosting to 1/3 cup. bake in a foil lined DISPOSABLE pan to make it fudgy!"
"Odd for ME to say this, but these were too sweet! The frosting was too runny and I don't believe I did anything wrong. Won't make them again."