Fudge Mocha Torte
This scrumptious elegant cake is not tricky to prepare since it starts with a boxed mix. With its sweet syrup and fluffy chocolate frosting, it's very rich, so you can cut small slices and still satisfy a crowd.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup cold strong brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons warm strong brewed coffee
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 pounds confectioners' sugar (about 7-1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 to 4 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, sour cream, coffee, oil, eggs and extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in chips. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Gently peel off waxed paper.
- For the syrup, combine the coffee and sugar; brush over the warm cake. Cool completely. Cut cake into three 10x5-in. portions. For frosting, cream the butter and the shortening in a bowl until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Add the coffee; beat until light and fluffy. Spread 3/4 cup between each layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 603 calories, 32g fat (13g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 342mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (62g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Fudge Mocha Torte in Country Woman Christmas 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.