- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- DATE CREAM FILLING:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FUDGE FROSTING:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 16 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Line three greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in chocolate. Combine the cake flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, all-purpose flour, milk and egg until smooth. Add the dates. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in walnuts and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate.
- For frosting, combine the cream, sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan. Bring to a full boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate and butter until melted. Transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate until spreadable, stirring occasionally.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews forFudge Layer Cake
"I left the dates out of it and it was WONDERFUL!! Try it both ways!"