Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 4 cups sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, two at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts. Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for icing, melt butter and chocolate. Transfer to a large bowl. Add half of the confectioners' sugar; mix well.
- Beat in the milk, vanilla and remaining sugar until smooth. Spread over warm brownies. Sprinkle with nuts if desired.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 1, 2015
This is my favourite recipe for brownies. My family and friends love them. Rich, moist, and the recipe is easily adaptable for gluten free. Best brownies ever!
Sep 26, 2013
I have made these brownies for years by request from my kids. We all love them and are so easy to make. I also love that is makes such a large batch, as I have a large family and they go very fast. Simply one of the best I have ever tried.
Feb 2, 2013
Sinfully the best brownies to die for, share with someone you love with all your heart!
Feb 2, 2013
Sinfully the best brownies to die for
Feb 17, 2012
I absolutely love this recipe! I just wish it had the nutrition facts.
Dec 26, 2011
Very good recipe! Left off the nuts, didn't do the icing, but added peanut butter chips. I would definitely make again!
Jun 17, 2010
These brownies are delicious! I made them in a 13x9x2 pan. It added about 15 minutes to the baking time. My husband says these are the best brownies he's ever had!
Apr 30, 2010
I have used this recipe since it was published in your magazne. Simetimes I switch it up and do a coconut topping and drizzle with semi-sweet chocolate. German chocolate brownies. Yum...
Dec 22, 2009
Fudge brownies make an awesome cookie and this is one we will be making many more times. It's definitely a keeper.
Sep 20, 2009
Oops, sorry, I forgot to mention that I always make mine with pecans. We're kinda pecan nuts here in Georgia.