Fruity Rice Mix
Dried apricots and golden raisins lend sweetness and pretty color to this flavorful rice mix from Emily Chaney of Penobscot, Maine. "I usually serve this special side dish with fish or chicken," she relates. "Dotted with almonds it gets rave reviews from my family."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
Makes4 servings per batch
- 11 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 4-1/2 cups diced dried apricots
- 2-1/2 cups golden raisins
- 1-1/2 cups slivered almonds
- 1 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Store in airtight containers in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 21 batches (21 cups total).
- To prepare rice: In a saucepan, combine 1 cup rice mix, water and butter. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until water is absorbed.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 164 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 511mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Fruity Rice Mix in Quick Cooking November/December 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.