Dried apricots and golden raisins lend sweetness and pretty color to this flavorful rice mix from Emily Chaney of Penobscot, Maine. "I usually serve this special side dish with fish or chicken," she relates. "Dotted with almonds it gets rave reviews from my family."
Recommended: 15 After-School Snacks Kids Will Love
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 11 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 4-1/2 cups diced dried apricots
- 2-1/2 cups golden raisins
- 1-1/2 cups slivered almonds
- 1 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Store in airtight containers in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 21 batches (21 cups total).
- To prepare rice: In a saucepan, combine 1 cup rice mix, water and butter. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until water is absorbed. Yield: 4 servings per batch.
Originally published as Fruity Rice Mix in Quick Cooking November/December 1998, p59
Reviews forFruity Rice Mix
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 10, 2012
"VERY GOOD !!!"