Fruity Pork Chops
In Sylva, North Carolina, Bonnie Baumgardner simmers pork chops in fruit juice seasoned with orange peel, mustard and red wine vinegar, then tops them with a delightful sauce made with handy fruit cocktail.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (1 inch thick and 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) fruit cocktail
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Sprinkle pork chops with salt, pepper, rosemary, dill and ginger. In a large skillet, brown chips on both sides in oil.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Drain fruit cocktail. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, mustard, orange zest and reserved fruit juice. Pour over pork. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove chops and keep warm. Strain the cooking liquid into a small saucepan. Combine the cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into the cooking liquid. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add fruit cocktail; heat through. Serve with pork chops.
Originally published as Fruity Pork Chops in Quick Cooking March/April 2002