Fruity French Toast Sandwiches
From Granbury, Texas, Jessica Walston promises that these pretty little breakfast sandwiches are “quick, easy and taste like they came straight from a French kitchen.” TIP: THIS RECIPE IS A GREAT WAY TO USE UP LEFTOVER FRENCH BREAD AND IS EASILY DOUBLED FOR GUESTS.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 medium firm banana, sliced
- 4 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine strawberry and banana slices. Place 1/4 cup on two slices of bread, arranging fruit in a single layer; top with remaining bread. Set remaining fruit aside.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg, cream, cinnamon and vanilla. Dip both sides of sandwiches into egg mixture. Heat oil on a griddle; cook French toast for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve with reserved fruit.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 218 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat, 1/2 lean meat.
May 7, 2014
I have been looking for this recipe for some time now and am glad I finally found it. My niece is the submitter of this recipe and she made this for my mother and me years ago. It was scrumptious. Now I can make it for myself.